proposals will not be reviewed. Those agencies that are invited to apply must be operating programs within the City of Chicago
for the direct benefit of its residents; present evidence of their certification by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3)
nonprofit, tax - exempt organization; provide a succinct and coherent work plan, timetable and budget to achieve their intended
objectives; and agree to provide semi-annual evaluations of their fiscal and programmatic progress toward meeting the goals
outlined in their proposal.
Generally, the Directors do not award grants for the direct support of individuals;
for capital campaigns or endowments; construction or renovation of physical facilities; or for indirect program expenses.
The Institute's grants are generally characterized as enabling, rather than sustaining. The Institute operates on a calendar
year basis with Board meetings scheduled in June and December.
OTHO S.A. SPRAGUE MEMORIAL INSTITUTE
Complete the Otho S.A. Sprague Memorial Institute Proposal Cover Sheet (you must
obtain the cover sheet from the Institute)
Respond to the following items.
Please type all responses. Be brief and use non-technical language. Include your agency's name at the top of each page. Number
your pages. Include the item number with each response. For ease in copying, do not bind your materials.
- Describe your organization, its mission and program(s).
- Briefly describe your organization's history.
- Describe the project/program and time period for which support is requested. (Nonprofits requesting general operating
support should omit this item.)
- Describe the anticipated and measurable outcomes of the project/program or of
your group's work during the proposed grant period.
- Describe how, by whom and when your organization's general
operations or this project or program will be evaluated and the criteria to be applied. Attach a copy of the most recent evaluation,
- The Institute's Board makes "enabling" rather than "sustaining" grants. How
will your organization support its efforts or this project/program at the conclusion of the proposed grant period?
- Describe how your agency's general operations or the proposed program/project help address the Institute's mission which
includes the "...investigation of the cause of disease and the prevention and relief of human suffering in the City of
- IRS 501(c)(3) Determination Letter
Audited Financial Statement
- Latest Annual Report
- Board of Directors & Officers list with affiliations
of Principal Staff with their qualifications
- Annual operating budget for the period for which support is sought
budget, if such support is requested.
- List of Principal Sources of Income
- Previous Evaluation Report, if relevant
Prepare One CD and One Paper Copy of your completed Cover Sheet and responses to the Proposal
Outline. Include One Hard Copy of the required attachments and submit materials to:
James N. Alexander,
The Otho S.A. Sprague Memorial Institute
P.O. Box 806214
Chicago, IL 60680-4123